Written by Kristen Maxwell, Bhutanese Children's Ministry Director, and Megan McDermott, Latino Children's Ministry Director
One of the greatest blessings of doing what we do, is getting to watch the community of believers in Kansas City come together around a common cause. This past week, we got to see that in a big way! Around a month and a half ago, we set a God-sized goal of collecting 190 filled backpacks to outfit our kids and teens as they head back to school. The Lord provided in a mighty way through twenty-five different individuals, families, and churches from all over the Kansas City area. Thank you to those that contributed through prayers, giving, and spreading the word. We hope you enjoy some pictures of the fun that we had last week.
In other news:
- Last week we concluded our first summer internship for four emerging leaders from our own neighborhood! It was a huge success as we saw them grow in exciting ways!
- Conversation partners from Bhutanese ESL class visited student homes during the last week of class. The students loved it, and volunteers got a better picture of what life is like for refugee families!
- Party, party, party!! On Sunday afternoon we got a beautiful dose of sharing life at Wyandotte Lake as our Bhutanese and Latino ministries both held summer parties, complete with food, awards, songs and even some dancing!
- Frank and Yanelis, our partners from the RAICES ministry in Cuba, spent a good portion of the summer in Kansas City with Mission Adelante, learning and sharing from their experiences. They’re now back in Cuba ready to engage with their work there. We’re missing them!
- Serving together! The Lord is creating a new “we” in the neighborhood as new, community-driven leadership teams are forming for all of our Latino ministry programs.
- We are thankful for all of the community partners who are working with us to gather data for the medical clinic. This information is helping us form a clinic that remains true to the vision of a clinic that is culturally accessible and community owned.
- As we prepare for next trimester, please pray for guidance from the Holy Spirit as to what changes need to be made in our programs to better accommodate the needs of our community.
- Please pray for God to bring forth volunteers for our Leaders In Training ministry.
- Please pray for our Congressmen, on break from Washington, to hear our calls for compassionate immigration reform.
- Please pray for Adelante Thrift as we continue searching for the right location.
- We're in the process of setting up a brand new library for the Leaders in Training (LIT) students, and hoping to have it finished by the first week of September. Do you know of someone that would be interested in helping to paint some bookshelves or maybe even buy some bean bags or decorations to make it cozy? Please contact Megan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteers for our Leaders In Training program, after school on Mondays, Wednesday and Thursdays beginning on September 11th, and our Tuesday night Kids Club program beginning September 24th. If you are interested in more information please email Kristen at email@example.com.