Written by Megan McDermott, Latino Youth and Kids Director
When I think about Christ, one of the things I always think of is the servants-heart that He displayed. He was always giving His time, wisdom, patience, and love to every person He encountered. He made time to stop and befriend those that others simply walked past. I think His heart beat was for true relationship, community, and ultimately healing for us. Mark 10:45 reminds us that, “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.”
As we go through our days, do we ever stop to ask ourselves what our heart beats for? How are we being the hands and feet of Jesus in Kansas City and around the world? I wanted to share with you the words of a dear friend and long time volunteer at Mission Adelante, Brad Gregory, and his answer to this question.
‘About 10 years ago, I heard of a new serving opportunity in the heart of Kansas City, Kansas called Mission Adelante. I had been looking for a place to serve outside of my church and it sounded like a good place to start. I had no idea what I was getting involved in and no concept of what I could actually do to help. I literally stumbled upon helping with Kid's Adelante and the older kids. I had a fabulous teaching partner in Felipe Ham and we became fast friends. I quite literally learned to study the Bible each week by preparing for the classes. I now think that I was the one sent there to learn! The curriculum we use with the children is called Firm Foundations and I believe it gave me just that, a firm foundation in the Bible! Over the years, I have forged many long-term relationships and in recent years, even started meeting with several of the volunteers before classes to eat at one of the many superb taco eateries in KCK. We meet at the end of the evening to pray with and for each other. At the end of the day what we are building is a family. "We are building a family that is centered on being Christ to the neighborhood and showing this love to each other in a meaningful way!"
- We are in need of volunteers for our Bhutanese and Latino Programs.
- Latino Leaders in Training (LIT) meets Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday afternoons.
- Bhutanese Elementary LIT meets Monday & Wednesday afternoons
- Bhutanese Middle School LIT meets Tuesday & Wednesday afternoons
- Bhutanese Youth Group meets Monday evenings
- Bhutanese ESL & Kids Club meets Tuesday evenings
- Latino Teen’s meets Wednesday evenings
- Latino ESL & Kids Adelante meets Thursday evenings
Visit our website for more information or to sign-up: www.missionadelante.org/serve
- Latino Leaders in Training is in need of journals for their creative activities. If you are interested in purchasing the journals that the kids will use for the year, please contact Megan McDermott at Meganm@missionadelante.org before Sept 6.
- Volunteer Orientation: Saturday September 10, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm. Orientation is an introduction to our vision and ministry programs at Mission Adelante. We will also tour the neighborhood and share a meal from a local restaurant. A $5.00 donation is suggested to help with the cost of the meal. If you are interested in serving at Mission Adelante visit: www.missionadelante.org/serve.
- Volunteer Huddle: Monday September 12, 6:30 - 8:00 pm. Our volunteer huddle is a time for us to gather together with our current and new volunteers to give them a deeper look into our ministry programs. We will also have dessert and fellowship time.
- Our Fall Trimester will begin soon, with our Bhutanese programs starting Tuesday September 13, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm and our Latino programs starting Thursday September 15, 6:30 - 8:30 pm.