All families know that back-to-school season is one of the most expensive times of the year. The fees, the supplies, the new shoes--it can be a little overwhelming. Imagine coming to a new country with only the clothes on your back and few other resources. For the first couple of years it is going to be quite a struggle. If you look at the back-to-school season through that lens, school supplies for your child are probably going to fall pretty low on your list of priorities, and your child will most likely go back to school with few, if any of their needed supplies. Is that a fun way to start a new school year?
The kids outreaches at Mission Adelante have the opportunity to disciple around 190 kids and teenagers on a weekly basis. Ranging in age from 9 months to 19 years old, they all have a unique and wonderful story to tell and it is a blessing to get to be a part of it. We get to plant seeds, water them, and see the fruit of Jesus changing lives and families. What a privilege!
The most practical way that we can show our young friends the love of Jesus is by providing for physical needs like school supplies. When we do that, we are able to have conversations about why people care about them, and ultimately, why Jesus cares about them. The Gospel can be communicated through the giving of a backpack! Not only that, but the student can go back to school with the confidence and dignity of having what they need to be successful in the year ahead.
Would you be able to help us share the love of Jesus by putting together a backpack for one of our friends?
Please contact Kristen Maxwell
) or Megan McDermott (
) for more information.
- IGNITE 2013 is this Saturday! A Workshop on Developing Businesses for Kingdom Impact - July 20 at 8:30am. You are invited to join us as we learn how fostering entrepreneuership can tranform lives and communities in under-resourced areas.Check out the link below for more information and to register for the event!
- The medical clinic team continues to develop partnerships and learn from various community members as they seek to understand the complex medical needs in the neighborhood. We appreciate all of the feedback we are receiving this trimester and know it will help form a medical clinic that represents the diversity of culture and need among our neighbors.
- Pray that program participants and volunteers would finish out the trimester strong!
- Please pray for the Adelante Business Coaching Team’s time with Rudy Carrasco this weekend as they continue to develop the ministry. Also pray that those in attendance at Ignite would be inspired to deepen their commitment to business as mission.
- Pray for an immigrant family from one of our suburban churches who has a member in deportation hearings. Please pray for God to open a way for this man to stay in the US with his wife and five children.
- The Kids Adelante ministry needs an ipod with a long battery life.. We would use it multiple times each week and would be so grateful to receive one. Please contact Megan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- Looking for an intentional way to impact the future leaders of our community? Our LIT(Leaders in Training, after-school tutoring program) is currently seeking mentors for the fall.. Please contact Megan at email@example.com if you would like more info.
- The hot weather is here, and the resource center is in need of two window AC units for a family. If you are about to help, please contact Molly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Observation nights: July 16, 18, 23, & 25.
Have you wondered what all goes on around here on a typical evening of programming? Here's your opportunity to come and see for yourself! Come to 22 S. 18th Street, Kansas City, KS 66102 at 6:30.