After almost three years of service, Seth Sears is nearing completion of our Apprenticeship program and is preparing to be launched, together with his family, to the foreign mission field with Christ for the City International. Seth, Andrea, and their family have been involved with Mission Adelante since before it began. Following a call to cross-cultural ministry, they moved to the Mission Adelante neighborhood and Seth began his training, both hands-on and theological in nature. While Seth took core courses at Midwestern Baptist Theological seminary, Seth and Andrea both dedicated themselves to learning Spanish. Seth and Andrea have learned the art of cross-cultural ministry by doing it. They have led Bible studies, mobilized volunteers to serve, met physical needs, discipled new believers, and even spearheaded the initial phases of remodeling Mission Adelante’s new building. Now, they are ready for the next step in God’s call for their lives as missionaries.
We are proud of Seth and Andrea, and their obedience to God’s unfolding call in their lives. Of course, we are already beginning to imagine the void their absence will leave in the Mission Adelante community. But, there is no sweeter departure than to be “sent” as missionaries. I ask that you would join us in praying for the Sears family. Please pray that God would help them finish strong and find closure over the next few months in their roles with Mission Adelante. Please pray that He would give them and their new ministry leaders in Costa Rica clarity on their roles. And pray that God will provide the support they need to be able to have “lift-off” on schedule in January.
In other news:
- The new Leaders In Training program kicked-off last Thursday evening with an orientation and ice cream social for the kids that were invited, their parents, and the LIT volunteer team. All 13 kids that attended signed up to participate in the three-afternoon-a-week character development program, which begins a week from today on September 2.
- Seth Sears and Linda Witz opened the Resource Center on Saturday morning, and about a dozen people from the community stopped by and took home clothes, food, toys, and beds.
- Please pray that all of the logistical details will fall into place for the LIT launch next Tuesday, September 2. Also, pray that God will impress upon the 13 kids the high degree of commitment that is expected from them and the privilege of the invitation to participate in the program.
- As we wrap up our year-long study of the book of Acts during the next three Sunday evening worship celebrations, pray that those who attend will hear God's voice through the Word, and that their lives will be changed.
- Pray for Molly Merrick as she begins raising funds and transitions into full-time ministry with Mission Adelante.
The great response to the Resource Center has left us with a minimal inventory of items. We're thrilled to be able to distribute resources to people who need them, and we need to restock! Specifically, we would like to make available:
- baby items (diapers, wipes, etc.)
- non-perishable food items
To find a complete list of requested items to stock the Resource Center, click http://www.missionadelante.org/docs/ResourceCenterOngoingNeedsList.doc.
- Tuesday, September 2 at The Mission: Leaders In Training launch
- Saturday, September 6 at The Mission: New Volunteer Training and Orientation
All volunteers are encouraged to attend this orientation once. If you would like to attend this time, please RSVP to Morgan Ham and indicate your area of interest, if you've chosen. If not, don't worry; you'll hear about the various areas in which you can serve at the orientation.
- Monday, September 15 at The Mission: All-Volunteer Meeting
- Thursday, September 18: Launch of fall trimester