Last Friday afternoon volunteer Todd Jones, Jason and Megan Schoff and the Meek family watched as Raul Contreras sang the Star Spangled Banner for the first time as an American citizen, along with some 90 other new citizens. Raul's "swearing in" ceremony at the Federal Courthouse in KCK was the culmination of a long process that we were privileged to play a part in through teaching him English and helping him prepare for the citizenship exam.
Rocio, Raul's American born wife, along with their kids Edgar, Raul Jr., and Ulises were all on hand as well. Their sense of pride in their father's accomplishment was noticeable as we all congratulated him for his hard work.
In other news:
- A group from a Springfield church traveled to KCK Saturday to host a Kids Adelante event in the park. The kids enjoyed playing soccer and carnival games while Kids Adelante leaders enjoyed getting to know other volunteers that seek cross-cultural opportunities to serve.
- A group of 15 volunteers from k10 Church continued working on the demolition phase of the building remodel on Saturday.
- We're grateful for an anonymous donor who funded the purchase of a ping-pong table for use by Kids Adelante.
- English level 1 student Fredy is seeking employment.
- Some of the kids attending Kids Adelante have required discipline related to their interaction with other kids in recent weeks. Please pray that the discipline will produce character growth and respectful interaction among the children.
- Please pray for God to provide the funds to support our summer interns
- A portable MP3 player to use with the Kids Adelante sound system
- Portable soccer goals
- Tutors for an after-school program to begin in the fall. Please contact Jarrett if you're interested.
Important upcoming dates:
- Volunteer Team Meeting: This Monday, April 7, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. at Mission Adelante *We are committed to ending the meeting in time to allow those who attend to view the NCAA championship basketball game.
- Trimester-end Party: Saturday, April 19, 2:00 p.m. at Bethany Community Center