Written by Kristen Maxwell, Bhutanese Children and Youth Director
All families know that back-to-school season is one of the most expensive times of the year. The fees, the supplies, the new shoes; it can be a little overwhelming. Imagine coming to a new country with only the clothes on your back and few other resources; for the first couple of years it can be quite a struggle. If you look at the back-to-school season through that lense; school supplies for your child are probably going to fall pretty low on your list of priorities, and your child will most likely go back to school with few, if any of their needed supplies. That is not a fun way for students to start the new school year.
The Youth and Kids Ministries at Mission Adelante have the opportunity to disciple around 200 kids and teenagers on a weekly basis. Ranging in age from 9 months to 19 years old; they all have a unique and wonderful story to tell, and it is a blessing to get to be a part of it. We get to plant seeds, water them, and see the fruit of Jesus changing lives and families. What a privilege!
The most practical way that we can show our students the love of Jesus is providing for their physical needs, in this case; school supplies. In providing for their physical needs we are able to have conversations with our students about why people care about them; not just that we care about them, but more importantly that Jesus cares about them. The Gospel can be communicated through the giving of a backpack. Not only that, but the student can go back-to-school with the confidence and dignity of having what they need to be successful in the year ahead.
We are currently in need of about 50 elementary backpacks and 15 high school backpacks to meet the need for our yearly backpack distribution coming up on August 2nd and 4th. Would you be able to help us share the love of Jesus by putting together a backpack for one of our students?
Here are the supplies that we ask to be included in each backpack:
- 1 backpack
- 1 standard sized school box
- 1 box of 24 crayons
- 48 #2 pencils
- 1 box of colored pencils
- 1 box of 8 to 10 markers
- 1 pair of 4 or 5 inch scissors
- 3 wide lined spiral notebooks
- 5 solid colored pocket folders
- 2 packages of wide-lined notebook paper
- 2 glue sticks
- 1 box of Kleenex or 1 package of anti-bacterial wipes
- 1 backpack with a laptop sleeve (our students are issued laptops at school and can not take them home without a backpack that has a laptop sleeve in it).
- 1-2 inch binder
- 1 package of dividers
- 2 packages of college ruled notebook paper
- 2 packages of #2 pencils
- 1 package of ink pens
Bags are due to Mission Adelante by August 1st.
If you are planning to fill a bag, please fill out our form and let us know so we can count you in! Backpacks at Mission Adelante
*Any backpacks collected over the needed number will be distributed through partner schools to students in need in our community, or saved for next year’s distribution*
- We have several opportunities for handyman-type projects around the building. Please contact Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
- Observation Nights: July 26 & 28. Have you ever wondered what goes on at Mission Adelante during a typical program night? Come see our ministry in action! Bhutanese Observation Night, July 26 6:30 - 8:30 pm. Latino Observation Night, July 28 6:30 - 8:30 pm.
- Come and celebrate 11 years of ministry with Mission Adelante! Mission Adelante's end of the summer party will be a huge celebration with the Bhutanese and Latino ministries together in one location. Mission Adelante is thanking their students, volunteers, partners, and God for 11 great years of ministry. The celebration will be Sunday August 7, 4 pm to 8 pm. at Wyandotte County Lake, Leavenworth Road & 91st St. Kansas City, Kansas 66109. Parking & Shuttles to the party will be at the Marina Parking Lot. The party will be held at Shelter #6.