Written by Rachel Pierce, Administrative Assistant
At Mission Adelante we are blessed to have a building where we are able to meet the needs of hundreds of people a week; through ESL or citizenship classes, kids outreach programs, discipleship, house church, and other events. While we are thankful for our building, we are also aware that our building is seasoned and has character...nice ways to say, “it’s an old building”. One of our core values at Mission Adelante is partnership. In being good stewards of what God has given us; we rely heavily on the partnerships we have with area churches and individuals to help us maintain and update our building.
We truly value everyone who supports our ministry at Mission Adelante; from those who sustain us through donations and prayer, to those who faithfully serve in one of our programs on a weekly basis. But today we recognize the behind-the-scenes volunteers who help keep our building up and running. We recently received a donation of carpet squares from a business in Maryland that is owned by a family member of our Operations Director, Sarah Winston. In order to place the new carpet in our large room that we use for kids’ programming and the large room that we use for ESL, worship services, and other events; we needed to have the old, worn carpet and padding pulled up. Each trimester, on a weekly basis around 200 children use a large room in our building designated for the kids programming. As you can imagine that room has seen a lot of life, a lot of fun, and a lot of wear-and-tear. Since we were going to be updating the kids’ room with new carpet, we thought repaired and freshly painted walls would be a nice addition. In March, a couple of people from our Latino ESL class worked on patching the holes in the walls of our kids room, then a group of Latino ESL volunteers and students painted the walls in our kids room. In April, a volunteer group from the International House of Prayer came to Mission Adelante and pulled up the old carpet and padding in our two large rooms; that made it so that the carpet installer had less work to do when he came to put in the new carpet.
These are just two recent stories of volunteer groups that have partnered with us to spruce up our building. There are countless other stories about groups and individuals who have helped us maintain our building. We are thankful for these behind-the-scenes volunteers who are able to support us with their time and talents to transform the building at Mission Adelante.
- Middle School Club is a high energy discipleship program focused on helping our Bhutanese refugee students grow in their relationship with Jesus, learning how to follow Him as their Lord. Middle School Club is seeking two adult men who are excited to lead a group of 6th to 9th grade boys on Tuesday nights from 6:30 to 8:30 pm for our 10 week program starting on May 31st. If you’d like more information on volunteering, please contact Drew Hammond, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Bhutanese Kid's Club Program is in need of 6 volunteers (at least 1 male volunteer is needed for our group of older elementary boys), for our Tuesday night program beginning Tuesday May 31, 6:30-8:30 pm. At Bhutanese Kid's Club - "We play games, sing songs, have fun, and learn about Jesus." If you would like more information about volunteering, please email Dani Hammond, email@example.com.
- Our Bhutanese ESL program is a conversation based citizenship and ESL class that meets on Tuesday nights 6:30-8:30 pm, starting May 31st. We are in need of some volunteers for the summer. If you are interested in volunteering with this ministry please contact David Stetler, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For many of our program participants, there is no one at home to help transport them to our programs on Tuesday night. If it weren't for our Transportation Team, they would not get to come learn about citizenship, socialize with their friends, and see Jesus in action through the love and service of our volunteers. Our Transportation Team is the stage crew that makes the show on Tuesday night happen. We are currently seeking two adult men to fill this essential volunteer role. If you are interested in more information about serving on our Transportation Team, please contact Drew Hammond, email@example.com.
- Our Latino ESL program is a conversation based ESL class that meets on Thursday nights 6:30-8:30 pm, starting June 2. We are in need of 4 volunteers for the summer. If you are interested in volunteering in this area please contact Paul Kienzle, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Come help us Celebrate the One Year Anniversary of Adelante Thrift. Saturday April 30, 10 am- 1pm. 3720 State Ave Kansas City, Kansas 66102.
- Volunteer Training: If you have never been through our New Volunteer Orientation we encourage you to attend our next training on Saturday May 21, 9-1 at Mission Adelante 22 S. 18th St. Kansas City, KS 66102. We will introduce you to all of our ministry programs, tour our neighborhood, and share a delicious meal from one of the local restaurants (a $5 donation is requested to help with the cost of the meal).
- Volunteer Huddle: We encourage all of our current and new volunteers to join us for our Volunteer Huddle, Monday May 23, 6:30-8:30 at Mission Adelante 22 S. 18th St. Kansas City, KS 66102. We will have dessert, worship together, hear about what God is doing at Mission Adelante, and meet together with our ministry program leaders to learn more about our upcoming summer trimester.
- Summer Trimester Program Launch: Bhutanese Launch Tuesday May 31, 6:30-8:30 for our ESL, Middle School & Kids Club Programs. Latino Launch Thursday June 2, 6:30-8:30 for our ESL & Kid's Adelante Programs. 22 S 18th St Kansas City, Kansas 66102