Written by Kristen Maxwell, Bhutanese Children's and Youth Director
This past Sunday marked the first Sunday of Advent, a time in our year where we pause and celebrate Emmanuel, God coming to be with us. The first Sunday of Advent is often spent reflecting on hope. The hope of a coming Savior, the hope of redemption.
Hope is a tricky thing, if you are not careful, it can be misplaced. You can place your hope in a relationship, a job, a leader, or success. Where your hope is can wander away before you recognize it. This Advent I want to encourage our community to dwell in this truth:
“Don’t put your confidence in powerful people; there is no help for you there. When they breathe their last, they return to the earth, and all their plans die with them. But joyful are those who have the God of Israel as their helper, whose hope is in the Lord their God.” ~Psalm 146:3-5 (NLT)
I want us, our kids, their parents, our volunteers, and our staff to remember where our true hope lies, because no one can take that hope away from us. I also want to encourage us to show hope to people, be a light in darkness. The prophet Isaiah was pointing to the coming Messiah when he said:
“The people who walk in darkness will see a great light. For those who live in a land of deep darkness, a light will shine.” ~Isaiah 9:2 (NLT)
How can we, those who have see the light in Jesus, be a light and share His hope this holiday season.
- Adelante Thrift is in need of new toys that parents can purchase at an inexpensive price to give as a gift to their children this Christmas. Donations are tax deductible and can be dropped off at Adelante Thrift Monday - Saturday 10 am - 5 pm.
- End of the Trimester Parties will be held the last night of programs for each ministry.
- Bhutanese Youth Group - Monday December 5, 6:30 - 8:30
- Bhutanese Kids Club and ESL - Tuesday December 6, 6:30 - 8:30
- Latino Kids Adelante - Thursday December 8, 6:30 - 8:30
- Latino ESL - Thursday December 15, 6:30 - 8:30
- Adelante Thrift will be hosting a Christmas Fun Day for Kids. There will be games, crafts and cookie decorating!!! December 10 12 - 2 pm. Each child will receive a stuffed animal and/or book. Check out the Adelante Thrift facebook page for more information. www.facebook.com/adelantethrift.