By Lauren Timberlake, Bhutanese ESL Director
About a month ago, we took twenty-five Bhutanese English students and volunteers to the Royals game together. It was the first time to go to a game for many students--most had not even heard of baseball before. Everyone had a great time huddling together in the stands and learning about a new sport. We admired the stadium, ate peanuts and popcorn, clapped and cheered together. When I watch people from such different backgrounds have that much fun together, it’s easy to see Jesus in it. We are thankful for volunteers and students who want to be friends inside and outside the classroom. And what a year to experience Kansas City baseball---go Royals!
In other news:
- Our level 1 Latino ESL class has a record number of students and volunteers participating this trimester!
- The Latino Leaders in Training (LIT) kids are excited to engage in enrichment activities every Wednesday. The interactive activities have included healthy cooking, culturally-based art projects, and even some drumming.
- Please pray for two marriages in our Latino community that are currently going through significant struggles.
- Please pray that our negotiations on the lease for our Thrift Store location would be finalized and the lease signed this week!
- Please pray for many Bhutanese English students who suffer from chronic pain.
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs for use in our facility.
- Get-acquainted Days: Thursdays, October 16 & 23, 6:30-8:30 Have you wondered what all goes on around here on a typical evening of programming? Here's your opportunity to come and see for yourself! Come on up to 22 S. 18th Street, Kansas City, KS 66102. Please note, the Bhutanese Get-acquainted Day on October 21 has been cancelled due to a festival that will be celebrated by our community that day.