Written by Kristen Maxwell,
Bhutanese Children's Ministry Director
Time flies when you are having fun, and this summer at Mission Adelante we had lots of fun! It is hard to believe that we are looking at another school year.
This past week we had the chance to outfit around 130 kids and 50 teens with backpacks and the supplies that they need to go back to school.
Thank you to our partners at Christ Church Anglican and Heartland Community Church for supplying the backpacks and supplies! They are a huge blessing to our community!
As we outfit our kids, and send them on their way will you join us in praying for them? Pray that they would have a good start to the school year. Pray that they would make good friends, who help them to make good choices. Pray that God would gift them with the knowledge they need to do well academically. Pray that they would come to know more about Christ this school year, and remember the lessons they learned, and the fun they had this summer.
In other news:
- Last week Galilee Learning Center, a collaborative ministry effort between several Chin (from Burma) churches, wrapped up their first summer program at Mission Adelante. Please pray for the teachers and leaders of GLC who have started planning for a school year program. It is exciting for Mission Adelante to continue partnering with GLC to dream of this next phase for their ministry.
- The first Internship Mission Adelante has ever done with Bhutanese and Latino interns together came to a close on a Sunday after a intern retreat where interns swam, played, worshipped and reflected on what God has done in and through them this Summer. Thank you to everyone who partnered with our Interns through prayer and financial support. It was a challenging and joy filled summer where everyone grew and learned a lot!
- Baptism! Last Sunday night we baptized four members of our Latino community! Those who were baptized included: Yuri and Natalhy, both from Cuba, along with Charlie and Lucy Meek.
- Please for the wife and children of one of our Latino community members. They will be having an immigrant visa interview in Havana, Cuba later this month. Pray that their visa would be approved.
- Please pray for our summer interns to find longer term roles in our community now that the internship is over.
- Please pray for depth of community and a passion for God’s word in our house churches.
- We were blessed with 5 new tablets to use in our Leaders in Training program! We have put together an Amazon wishlist of items to outfit our new tablets for use, and included a few more technology needs on it. Check out the wish list here: LIT Technology Wish List - If you have questions contact Kristen Maxwell at email@example.com or Megan McDermott at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bhutanese Summer Party--Saturday, August 9 at 4:00 at Wyandotte County Lake Park, 91st and Leavenworth Road, Kansas City, KS 66109. After entering the park you'll come to a fork in the road; go left and continue to Shelter #6. Please bring a dish to share and stay for the awards and cultural presentation!
- Latino Summer Party--Sunday, August 10 at 5:00 at Wyandotte County Lake Park, 91st and Leavenworth Road, Kansas City, KS 66109. After entering the park you'll come to a fork in the road; go left and continue to Shelters #8 &10. Please note, these are different shelters than the large shelter where the party has been held in previous years. Dress casually and bring a dish to share, lawn chairs and/or a picnic blanket.