Written by Kristen Maxwell, Bhutanese Children's Ministry Director
When looking back on childhood summers many of us have fond memories of time spent at summer camp. Making art projects, exploring the wilderness, playing games, and growing closer to friends were always highlights.
Last Friday through Sunday, 16 Bhutanese Leaders in Training students (and eight adult mentors) got to take part in the tradition of summer camp at Camp New Hope, about 45 minutes north of Kansas City. We learned about God’s creation, played games, used a compass for the first time, tie-dyed, took a ride on a wagon, and got to pie mentors in the face for learning the two memory verses of the weekend!
Experiences like these are so very important to the education of our kids. They not only get to have fun and learn life skills, but they also have their world view expanded. Enjoy some pictures of our fun time this past weekend!
In other news:
- The Latino Equipos (Spanish for "Teams") group met on Monday to discuss how our community can welcome our new volunteers this summer through food, friendship, and worship. We are really excited and blessed to have such an awesome team of leaders with hearts to serve!
- Leaders in Training is our tutoring and character development program during the school year for a select group of kids, and is by invitation, only. We're wrapping up our application process for the 2014-2015 school year. Please pray for discernment and wisdom for those involved in the decision of which students to invite.
- We're still looking for volunteers to serve in the following programs for our summer trimester:
- Bhutanese Kids Club (Tuesday evenings): 5 volunteers. Contact Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Latino Kids Adelante (Thursday evenings): 2 volunteers. Contact Megan at email@example.com.
- Latino ESL for adults (Thursday evenings): 8 volunteers. Contact Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shuttle drivers (various times): No CDL Required! Contact Drew at email@example.com.
- Recent storms have prompted us to want to make our outdoor activities a little safer. So, we are putting together an outdoor safety kit. Please contact Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org if you or your community group would like to donate a lightning meter, a portable weather radio, a first aid kit, or crank-powered flashlights.
- We are in need of a high-quality vacuum that can keep up with our heavy foot traffic. Please contact Molly at email@example.com if you can help.
- The Bhutanese ESL program could use reading glasses of all strengths. We also need more toddler/preschool board books (gently used) to give away during our Mommy & Me class in June. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you can donate any of these items.
- Volunteer Orientation & Training: Saturday, May 17, 9:00-12:30 All volunteers should attend this training once at the beginning of serving with Mission Adelante. It's also a great way for someone to become familiar with Mission Adelante's ministry. If you or someone you know is interested in finding out more about what we do, and about our volunteer opportunities, please plan to attend/encourage him or her to plan on attending this informative training, and to contact Morgan at email@example.com for all the details.
- All Volunteer Huddle & Dessert: Monday, May 19, 6:30 p.m. We encourage everyone that will be volunteering with us during our summer trimester to attend so we can prepare for a great launch.
- Summer trimester programs launch: Week of May 26