Written by Jarrett Meek, Pastor/Executive Director
Throughout both the Old and New Testaments, God's heart for the lost and broken is evident. His love for all people is beyond imagination, but His heart of mercy for "the least of these" is displayed time and time again in unique and special ways.
In Matthew 25 Jesus says these words;
37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
At Mission Adelante, we have found ourselves in the middle of a mission field right here in our own backyard. And in this mission field we are surrounded by the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the sick, and families of people in prison. Who would have thought that the cross-cultural mission field would come to us, and that we would have the opportunity to demonstrate the kind of compassion that Jesus exhorted us toward right here in our own city!?
We invite you to join us in this mission by serving in practical ways and connecting relationally with people from another culture. Instead of viewing missions as something only a few "super-Christians" can do, why not make it a normal part of your life?
Whether your heart is for adult immigrants or kids, Latinos or refugees from Bhutan, there is a place for you to make an impact with Mission Adelante. We specifically need volunteers in the following areas for the summer:
- Six mentors for Bhutanese Kids Club each Tuesday evening. Contact Kristen Maxwell at kristenm@Missionadelante.org.
- A shuttle driver for various times (No CDL required). Contact Drew Hammond at email@example.com.
- Conversation Partners for Latino English Class each Thursday evening. Contact Morgan Ham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
for all the info related to volunteering with Mission Adelante!
And now, if you have a couple of minutes, watch a quick video to get a better feel for what it looks like to be involved in our ministries!
In other news:
- Jarrett, Megan, Brian, and Sandy arrived back safely from Q-ba on Tuesday. They all taught at a three-day purity retreat for more than 85 youth and young adults in the church. God protected the team and allowed them to go deep with the youth.
- Please pray for the health of two of our Bhutanese grandmothers. They are both struggling to recover from some previous health challenges. Pray for healing, renewed strength and a sense of the presence of Lord Jesus.
- Volunteer Orientation & Training: Saturday, May 17, 9:00-12:30 All volunteers should attend this training once at the beginning of serving with Mission Adelante. It's also a great way for someone to become familiar with Mission Adelante's ministry. If you or someone you know is interested in finding out more about what we do, and about our volunteer opportunities, please plan to attend/encourage him or her to plan on attending this informative training, and to contact Morgan at email@example.com for all the details.
- All Volunteer Huddle & Dessert: Monday, May 19, 6:30 p.m. We encourage everyone that will be volunteering with us during our summer trimester to attend so we can prepare for a great launch.
- Summer trimester programs launch: Week of May 26