|Our Summer Internship opening retreat began in Lawrence|
Jesus, having seen the crowds of people in the towns around Jerusalem had compassion on them. "The are like sheep without a shepherd," he said. Where are the shepherds? Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Pray to the Lord of the harvest that he would send out workers into his harvest field." And then Jesus sends his twelve disciples out to preach the good news. The disciples became the harvest workers. This was Jesus' plan!
When I look throughout our urban Kansas City neighborhood I see deep and desperate needs all around, but I also see great potential. I see sheep without a shepherd, but at the same time I see young leaders emerging. Our prayer at Mission Adelante has been that God would raise up workers for His harvest from within our neighborhood. And its happening!
This weekend we launched our first ever summer internship for emerging leaders from our own neighborhood; Helen Venegas, Edgar Soriano, Iris Venegas, and Odalis Delgado. These are amazing young people who have been involved in Mission Adelante now for many years, most of them having started with us as kids when Kids Adelante still met in our basement. Over the years the Lord has worked in their lives in powerful ways and has begun something that we are confident He will continue on until the day of Christ Jesus. These neighborhood all-stars are learning to follow Jesus, they're making an impact, blazing new trails, loving their peers, and becoming leaders in our ministry.
This summer they will become key-carrying members of our staff, walking closely with mentors, doing ministry together, receiving training workshops and being challenged to seek the Lord in their own personal lives in new and deeper ways. They are ready to be sent out, just like the disciples were sent out; not yet fully trained, but bravely depending on Jesus for every step in their own growth, knowing that He will use them in ways they never imagined and that the experience will shape their own lives.
The opening retreat for the internship began in Lawrence with a tour of KU's campus, where Iris will be attending in the Fall. And then we moved to The Barn Bed and Breakfast Inn were we dove into games and activities that deepened our relationships and set a course for pursuing Christ together through the summer. As I look forward to the next 8 weeks I am expectant and excited about what the Lord will do in their lives and through them. And I continue to "pray that the Lord would raise us workers for His harvest" from within our neighborhood. Please pray with us this summer!
In other news
- This trimester we have a new volunteer position available at Bhutanese Teens Club. Ten teenagers will serve as captains this trimester. These captains will have leadership roles and help teach or organize games. We are excited to see these students develop their leadership ability as they learn to follow Yeshu (Jesus) this summer!
- Four Latino teens confirmed their participation as summer interns this past week. They will be challenged in new ways over the next two months, but they are ready and eager.
- Yanelis, the Raices director in Cuba, arrived on Saturday and will help lead our summer interns in discipleship seminars. We are excited to have her here this summer.
- A Memorial Day get-together at the Meeks’ home turned into a beautiful multicultural party. A spontaneous dance party erupted on the patio--and on the picnic table! There was football, volleyball, and croquet in the yard, s'mores in the fire pit, and all kinds of meat on the open grill. It was a slice of heaven!
- Please pray for our senators and representatives looking to reform immigration laws. Pray for them to be wise, courageous, and God-honoring in their decision making.
- Please pray for English students and conversation partners to enjoy each other and develop authentic relationships as they spend time together this summer.
- We need several 4x8 foot ivory-colored cloth tablecloths to be used for events at the building. If you are able to provide these, please contact Jenny Dunn at email@example.com.
- We still need a few more board books for our Mommy & Me ESL and early literacy class in June. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for book titles.
- Latino Summer Program Launch: Tonight