Written by Bhutanese Outreach Intern Hannah Hume
Mission Adelante believes that ministry is essentially relational in nature. That's why we're so excited about what's happening with our Bhutanese Teens Club.
The Purpose of teens club is to help students learn how to love God and love people as described in Luke 10:27, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" We believe that there is nothing that these teens need more during this incredibly malleable time in their lives than to know and love the only person who can be constant and unchanging: Jesus Christ.
Jesus is using Teens Club to change teens lives. We are seeing students who were at risk for joining gangs become followers of Jesus instead. This trimester students are getting to hear the story of Jesus, some of them for the first time in their own language, and they are becoming enthralled with Jesus. They want to know more about him. Some of the boys who used to be our most disruptive students during story time are now discussing the stories around their lunch tables at school, and some of the girls are whispering prayers to him at night before they go to sleep.
Teens club is still a new ministry, and in the formative stages. There continue to be challenges in helping our teenage friends. However, the spirit is undoubtedly moving. Please pray for the Bhutanese teenagers of Kansas City, Kansas, and for Teens Club, as we seek to continue to grow and learn together.
In other news:
- David & Holly Stetler's, Kristen Maxwell's and Drew Hammond's visas were approved for an exploratory-training-leadership trip they and some volunteers will be taking to Nepal April 18 through May 2.
- Jarrett Meek will be traveling back to Q-ba this Sunday to teach at a discipleship training retreat. Please pray for a smooth and easy arrival, and a rich time there with friends.
- A washing machine, which has been requested through our resource center.
- Teens Adelante is hoping for summer swimming lessons for 10-15 teenagers. Please contact Brooke (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can teach swimming lessons to full-grown teens or can help us find a good instructor.
- A ceiling-mounted projector and protective cage
- A preschooler sized table and chairs or picnic table
- A big-screen T.V. for use at a variety of times, including Kids Adelante Bible studies.
- Thursday, April 12 @ 8:30 p.m. (immediately following Thursday evening programming) Bake Sale and Jewelry Sale to benefit the L.I.T. Canoe Trip at the end of the school year. This is a reward trip for the students that succeeded at meeting the expectations for L.I.T. participation throughout the whole school year.
- Saturday afternoon, April 14: Latino Spring Party
- Sunday afternoon, April 15: Bhutanese Spring Party
- Saturday, June 30 @ 9:00 a.m. Adelante Missions Institute Seminar. We're pleased to announce that Noel Castellanos, CEO of Christian Community Development Association, will visit Kansas City at the end of June. Mark your calendar!