Written by Megan McDermott
"I love the hearts of the kids. I can see that Leaders in Training is a need and I see God's love in them." -Pam Morton
One of my favorite things about serving at Mission Adelante is the amazing ways that God brings new volunteers across our path. Last year, while having a support appointment at Panera, Pam Morton walked by our table. The person I was meeting with knew Pam and introduced us. Pam has this very gentle way about her and as she talked, I realized she had a passion for Hispanic kids. As I heard her share her story, I started thinking how perfect she would be for our after school Leaders in Training program! I invited her, she accepted, and we laugh together about how God orchestrated our meeting.
Pam is the type of volunteer that anticipates a need and acts on it. Every Monday during this school year, Pam tutored the LIT kids in math. Pam anticipated that the kids might need the answer packets filled out. She took the packet home, worked through all the problems, and brought them back for all of the other tutors to utilize. Pam was so helpful in taking care of that before I even realized it needed to be done.
Pam is someone that the kids love playing with as well. The picture above was one of our recreation times. Pam is always one of the first to jump up and be silly with the kids. I appreciate volunteers like Pam because after teaching all day, she still finds the energy to come share Christ's love with the children of Mission Adelante. Volunteers that give their time, hearts, and love to the children allow Mission Adelante to reach into the KCK community to show God's heart.
In other news:
- The short-term mission team from Mission Adelante arrived in Costa Rica last Friday. They are spending the week giving ESL classes, working with teens, and receiving Spanish tutoring. They'll return to Kansas City this Saturday. Please pray for their sense of team unity to be strong, and that they'll optimize the cultural and linguistic opportunities of the week.
- David Coon, an ESL volunteer that has also been highly involved in our church, led worship for the first time last Sunday evening and did great! We hope he'll continue to be involved in leading worship for our congregation!
- Volunteers and core ministry team members Jacob and Michelle Holland welcomed their second daughter, Keziah Jane, into their family on Friday, April 30. They're all healthy and doing well.
- David Stetler is having surgery today to remove a cyst from his nasal cavity. Please pray for the success of the procedure, and for headaches to be alleviated.
- Pray for the upcoming delivery of Jason and Megan Schoff's second son, Brennan. Pray for God's perfect timing for his arrival to prevail, as his June 1st due date falls on a very busy week on Mission Adelante's schedule.
- Toilet paper and kids summer clothes for distribution through the Resource Center.
Important upcoming dates:
- Volunteer Orientation & Training: Saturday, May 22, 9:00-12:15. All volunteers should attend a Saturday-morning Orientation once in order to become familiar with the ministry of Mission Adelante. To RSVP or for more information, please e-mail Morgan Ham.
- Volunteer Team Meeting: Monday, May 24, 6:30-8:00. All summer volunteers should attend the Team Meeting to prepare for Summer Program launch the first week of June.