Can you remember the first day of school each year and all of the excitement that inevitably came with it? For me, the last few weeks of summer were always filled with anxious discussions about teachers, classmates, schedules, and of course, the all-important backpack. However, as we now know, it was the supplies that filled our backpacks that helped each of us begin the school year on the right foot.
As the summer began, we prayed that God would inspire local churches to partner with us in reaching out to our neighborhood kids. We were blown away as volunteers and local churches came together and donated more than eighty backpacks!! In addition, each backpack was packed with all the pencils, paper, rulers, erasers, and other supplies that each child would need to start the school year. Most of the backpacks were so heavy that the littlest kids couldn't even carry them!
Each child left Kids Adelante last Thursday armed to tackle a brand new school year, knowing that people around the city cared about them. When the kids experience compassion and generosity, they see God's love through others' actions. They recognize that the God they have been learning about all trimester loves them so deeply that he provided a blessing that will see them through the school year. Thank you to those of you who gave your time, finances, and hearts to remind the children of Kids Adelante of their worth in God's eyes.
In other news:
- There was a great turnout at our End-of-trimester Party on Sunday afternoon with over 200 people in attendance! It was held in a large outdoor pavilion overlooking Wyandotte County Lake, where we grilled burgers and recognized program participants and volunteers.
- A record number of adult students completed the level one ESL class this summer with 21 of the original 24 taking the final exam. We owe this success much in part to our faithful volunteer conversation partners!
- We're thankful that God continues to provide new volunteers for our programs each trimester. If you're interested in volunteering, we have a spot for you! To find out about opportunities in the kids' ministry, e-mail Megan McDermott at email@example.com. For opportunities in the ESL program and the Resource Center, e-mail Jason Schoff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This is Megan M.'s final week with the pre-teen and teenage girls in their Purity Bible Study. Megan has rejoiced as the girls have discovered their self-worth in Christ.
- The next five weeks are a break between trimesters. ESL and Kids Adelante programs resume on September 17. All volunteers, please mark your calendar for the Volunteer Team Meeting on Monday evening, September 14.
- During out break from programs, our focus shifts to our Sunday evening worship services, called Celebrations. Please pray that people who first learned about our ministry at the party last Sunday will be interested in investigating our faith community.
- Kansas City, Kansas schools begin this Monday, August 17. Please pray for kids to be exited for a good school year.
- Please pray for Alberto, who is beginning training to prepare him to preach his first sermon at Celebration on September 13. He will be the first Hispanic from our own community to give a message.
- dining room chairs
- a microwave
- a washer and dryer
- baby wipes, all for distribution to needy families through our Resource Center
Important upcoming dates:
- Saturday, September 5 @ 9:00: Volunteer Orientation & Training. All volunteers should attend this orientation at least once, preferably at the beginning of volunteering.
- Monday, September 14 @ 6:30: All Volunteer Team Meeting
- Thursday, September 17: Fall trimester begins; Thursday evening programs resume